The old commercial saying Wait there is more! comes to mind. Well I didnt like the look of the TGTT edges showing end grain and the join so I decided to add a finishing edge. I used Tassie Oak cut into strips mitered and rounded over to do the job. I started with the end and cut the timber to match the table rather than measure and cut. This activity took all day glueing sections in, applying clamps, allowing the glue to dry enough to remove the clamps then continue on with th...
The crucial step of dimensioning the stock was a physical and tedious process. I’m in decent shape, but wasn’t expecting such a workout. Each piece needed to be planed to 2-1/8” thickness and be perfectly square so that the joints line up. Quite a task on long heavy pieces. After the laminating was finished, the stock was made flat and square. The length of the wood made it a challenge for my 6 inch Jointer. Planer and dust collector got quite a workout....
A few days ago I contacted the editor of the newsletter for Esperanto-USA, the national organization for Esperantists in the U.S.A. I sort of know the guy from a few contacts over the years. I basically queried if he’d be interested in articles in Esperanto about woodworking. The answer was yes. As it turns out he wants the sort of articles that I would be putting in my book, a basic how-to approach. While this is not a paying gig, I think it’s advantageous for me as it give...
A few months back I began searching for a 14” band saw. I had my dad’s 9” Ryobi and needless to say hit the limitation ceiling with it PDQ. In my search I finally found a mid-90’s model Craftsman Professional 14”. The seller had gotten it from a neighbor but had never used it. When I turned it on it screamed like a banshee. The blade was way out of alignment, and when I opened it up, sections of the dry, rotted tires fell out. At only $75 and there being nothing ...
Day 1 of Fence Installation. Looks like we will be getting a lot of rain soon, so hopefully we will be able to get the work done between storms. View on YouTube Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thomaslightleFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/redbarnwoodworking/Twitter: https://twitter.com/tnlightleWebsite: http://www.redbarnwoodworking.net
Big glue-up decisionMy last blog in this series left off after chiseling the datos for the bottom of my very tall ‘bucket’. The next step was a dry clamping before glue-up, and then I had to decide if I could do it all in one go. Glue-upApplication of the glue went so fast on the first half that I decided there would be enough time to do both halves before the glue set, so I went with the all-in-one-go approach. The two glued halves were placed on the bottom and band clamps ...
I only had one day in woodshop this week but i was able to router my lats and cut my tenons to fit my mortises my next job is to fit my short rails
Greene & Greene Magazine Rack - my "own" design #4: Stock choice and starting prep - discovered Peruvian Alder
So I went to my local favorite place to get some African Mahogany to start the stock prep for the piece. While I was wandering around (I’ve never once walked in this place picked up a piece and walked out) I saw a piece of wood with a very striking ribbon grain pattern. It actually looked a bit like the African Mahogany, but more of a brown tone. Turns out to be Peruvian Alder. Some of the boards have a pronounced ribbon grain with an iridescent sheen to the grain. So I’m t...
been a few days? A couple of glue ups did indded happen…. Second one was also done. Set them aside for now… And started to work on the seat parts… Sawn a curve where the slats for the seat will attach. Each one of these is just a hair longer than the other. Front one being the widest, and the back one the narrowest. There is a middle one. set up with 1” long tenons on the ends. This will do for now. Had resaw work to do, twice.. Used one of the...
So far today I had to recheck the final dimensions for the drawer. Good thing, my original calculations were off some. These dimensions have to be spot on for these Salice 15 inch undermount slides to work and fit right. I changed the height of the drawer parts to 5 1/2 inches. The sides have to match the drawer slide length so that is 15 inches. The front and back parts were correct at 16 1/8 inches wide. I have designed the layout of the dovetails. I will cut those tomorrow. I have cu...
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 216 entries
- stefang - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries
- StumpyNubs - 175 entries
- bandit571 - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- clieb91 - 161 entries
- littlecope - 153 entries
- RaggedKerf - 151 entries
- andyboy - 148 entries