LumberJocks

CNC Chevalet

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by zombolina updated 491 days ago 6 parts 6555 reads 38 comments total

Part 1: Don't look, Patrick and Patrice! A CNC made Chevalet

511 days ago by zombolina | 13 comments »

After spending a wonderful week at the American School of French Marquetry, it’s time to build my own chevalet. How hard can it be? :-P. I purhcased the hardware and full scale plans from Patrick Edwards of ASFM, and also downloaded Shipwrght’s 3D Sketch up model that he generously made availabe on Google’s 3D warehouse. Why build a 17th century tool that is used for traditional hand cut marquetry with a CNC machine? 1. I have a bunch of plywood to use.2. I like the ir...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Robots do my bidding

508 days ago by zombolina | 6 comments »

After quite a bit of time breaking down and tweaking the 3D model and then jumping throught some hoops to output correctly formatted vectors of (hopefully) all of the parts, I was finally able to take everything into Vectrics Aspire in order to generate the tool paths. Did a pen test first, and then changed the layout, so hopefully the lines will sand off. Here’s the 3/4” sheet: (anyone know how to upoad photos right side up?!) Today had me wishing for a vacuum ho...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Got my work cut out for me...GET IT?

507 days ago by zombolina | 5 comments »

Today I thought I’d stop cutting after the second sheet in order to put the puzzle together to see what we have. Here is the front foot: And the rest fit together so far, although I might reshape the seat once it’s glued up. It’s fun to see all of the pockets and bolt holes being drilled in the passes before the profiles; the only thing I couldn’t do on the shopbot was the angled pocket where the back supports joins the underside of the seat. Planning on ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Gluefest, a.k.a. Never Enough Clamps

503 days ago by zombolina | 6 comments »

Progress has been made on the glue-ups. I ended up going back and drilling 3/8” holes for dowels in order to keep the pieces aligned for gluing. I have to world’s tiniest drill press, so some of the thicker pieces have to be drilled out in a few layers at a time! But it seems to be working out so far. Should be finished with the last pieces today, then on bench assembly and making the solid wood parts. Going for the record of number of different kinds clamps used. :-) ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Whose idea was this? And more irony...

501 days ago by zombolina | 5 comments »

All of the pieces are glued up! Drilling the dowel holes to keep things lined up while clamping was more of a job than it should have been with my tiny drill press!: So that’s another bit of irony…we have a 4’x8’ CNC router, but a tiny ancient drill press :-) But look! I found a center column for a chevalet at Home Depot! Just kidding. Turns out that glue doesn’t stick to the plastic that you wrap the clamping wood with, but the ink from the ...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Measure twice, cut...twice? The Bride of Frankenstien

491 days ago by zombolina | 3 comments »

Did I mention that I’m not really a woodworker yet? That this project is my first besides a small tool tray, a mallet, a sanding block and a push stick? So it’s been a challenge and, needless to say, this one is quickly becoming a prototype, but I’m so hoping it will be functional! I’m learning so much about what to do next time, (like proper joinery instead of glue and screws) but I am really getting anxious to cut into some veneer packets. I realized that the s...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase