I skipped a few steps up to this point. Basically I built 3 cabinets and screwed them together and here I’ve clamped on the face frame. Can’t have too many clamps….
After the frames were dry I glued a plywood finished end on each side and attached the raised panel columns to the face frame.
Built a plywood top to match the profile of the cabinet and wraped it with an applied molding. Then add a structure that will support the arched middle section that I’ll be building next
I made these pieces by running them accross this very old saw with an even older 14” blade… I can’t remember how many passes it took. Quite a few though. Then I sanded out the saw marks.
Then cut and attatched the arched pieces, followed by another plywood top with applied molding edge..
The upper section face frame has movement on the top with a flat panel and another flat panel column down the center. The left and right columns were clamped over the face frames similar to the way I did the lower cabinet..
Here I’m laying out the upper doors which have an oval center panel. You can see the wrinkled up sketchup drawing I’m using for reference. I drew the oval using the string method. There’s probably some more accurate techniques out there but I was happy with the results.. All the fronts will be a 3/8” inset application which I’ve always liked a lot..
I made templates out of 1/4” MDF for all the rails, stiles, and panels that had any movement.
Here’s the lower cabinets doors and drawer fronts with the same profiles.
At this point I’m waiting for some applied carvings that go on the upper columns and a molding that will go on the faces of the arched middle section. On the middle section, the 3 arched sections in the center are functional drawers that will open on a touch latch… Thanks for looking at my blog. This is my first time blogging so I appreciate any comments, negative or positive. I’ll post some more pics when it gets a finish and I install it..
Finally finished and installed. The finish is an old distressed paint. Pretty cool if you like that kinda finish. I threw in some pictures of the rest of the kitchen and entertainment center as well. There are a couple things not finished. Waiting for some back order knob hardware and they still havent decided what kind of panel they want in the entertainment center doors. Overall this job was a total blast. I couldn’t of had more fun. I hope I’m lucky enough to get my hands on another one like this. I also just finished up a wine room in the same house. Its in a very unusual room. Its very narrow and doglegs right as you walk down steps. It will be hard to get good pictures. Thanks everyone for looking at my blog. It’s my first and its been a lot of fun.
This armoire houses two 27” sub zero refrigerators.
-- Zach, Las Vegas