LumberJocks

Workbench

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by yuridichesky updated 03-14-2014 07:18 PM 9 parts 15079 reads 93 comments total

Part 1: Wagon vise from scratch

01-27-2013 01:19 PM by yuridichesky | 15 comments »

The bench I’m building is a small one due to very limited shop area (about 10 by 4 feet), so the top is 40” by 10” (laminated pine) plus tool tray (about 6” wide). As for vises after some considerations I decided to go for leg vise and the wagon vise. It took me a while, but now top and wagon vise are ready. Here is my wagon vise kit ready for assembly: The hardware is a 3/4” (19mm) machine screw with square brass nut ($10 flea-market find). The scre...

Read this entry »


Part 2: vise handle, bench dogs, and legs

02-05-2013 06:00 PM by yuridichesky | 8 comments »

Not much progress since last time, but still some. First of all, I made my wagon vise a handle. It’s been cut from raw oak stock that I took from my country house almost two years ago. I started with planing it to be a square, then to be octagonal, then I doubled number of edges yet more couple of times, and finished with some very light sanding. To make end knobs I used my poor man’s lathe: Time after time I use it to turn knobs, handles and such: And here is my ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Preparing for draw-boring (dowels jig that finally works for me!)

03-02-2013 12:59 PM by yuridichesky | 7 comments »

While my leg vise hardware is still being machined to mate screw and the wheel I’ve been working on the legs. In particular got ready for draw-boring. My target was 10mm pegs (3/8” approx). I made them from rough oak stock: first planed it a little, then ripped into beams and planed square blanks about 11×11mm (7/16” approx), so I had about 1mm allowance (1/32” approx). Then I rounded them roughly with the block plane: At this point dowels w...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Legs: mortise and tenon

09-17-2013 07:58 PM by yuridichesky | 7 comments »

First of all, my workbench build is far beyond the point that I’m going to share, I just have bunch of pics and I decided to throw them on the blog. There’s nothing special here, but some little documentary to remember. So… For M&T job I made couple of marking gauges out of pine. I know pine is not the best choice for this, I just wanted to practice a little before making marking gauge of my dream. I put pins just where I needed and then just re-inserted...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Drawboring: the good, the bad and the ugly

09-18-2013 07:17 PM by yuridichesky | 13 comments »

Finally I got to drawboring point. Dowels were ready, drawboring pins were ready, M&T on the legs and stretchers were ready. Drilling holes for drawboring didn’t cause any problem. Since I wasn’t sure my drawboring technique was good enough I used glue and clamps to get best possible results (and I didn’t care about chances to disassemble legs in the future). And you know, the drawboring started with “the good” part: I heard a quite a bit...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Leg vise chop

09-21-2013 05:43 PM by yuridichesky | 8 comments »

The leg vise chop’s wood is beech (I just have one big thick beech board and so I use it when I need some hardwood). .First some rough cuts: .Then cleaning up: (you can see here template I used to mark curves of the chop) (and this is my cleanup kit) .Ready for parallel guide mortise: .Parallel guide mortise: first saw cut then cleaning with the chisel (and a block of wood as a guide). .Dry fit: .Drawboring: .Closeups of drawboring results:...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Leg vise

03-02-2014 02:02 PM by yuridichesky | 19 comments »

Got sick a little and can’t work in the shop, so it’s time to blog :-)...In total I spent quite a bit time working on leg vise, but to my excuse I had to built most of the parts from scratch except for Jim Ritter’s (aka Boatman53) chain mechanism . I’m more than happy with this chain-driven vise and highly recommend it. Jim, thank you a lot for all your effort to send your kit up here to Russia!...Ok, leg vise implies that there must be something done with the leg to...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Wagon vise reloaded

03-03-2014 08:40 PM by yuridichesky | 7 comments »

Wagon vise was the first vise I built and used intensively during workbench construction. It worked great from the very beginning, the only thing bothering me was poor steel-on-steel friction conditions just where the pressure applied – between crank and garter plate. The solution came from workbench smackdown thread guys: thrust bearings. So one day I disassembled my wagon vise and upgraded it with thrust bearings. Plus I did couple of other things: shortened the handle (no nee...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Attaching benchtop to the base

03-14-2014 07:18 PM by yuridichesky | 9 comments »

This blog entry is further in the past than the previous one, sharp-sighted will notice that leg vise is not ready yet here. I believe it’s not a big deal, so here we go…...At the very beginning of the project I wanted to build some kind of folding workbench, but as project evolved I rejected this folding approach and decided to build solid yet collapsible bench. Thus I started to figure how to mount benchtop on the base when both were ready. Here’s what I came up with:...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase