Finally I got to drawboring point.
Dowels were ready, drawboring pins were ready, M&T on the legs and stretchers were ready.
Drilling holes for drawboring didn’t cause any problem.
Since I wasn’t sure my drawboring technique was good enough I used glue and clamps to get best possible results (and I didn’t care about chances to disassemble legs in the future). And you know, the drawboring started with “the good” part:
I heard a quite a bit of crackling when drove dowels through the joints and was very surprised to see how oaken dowels were bent:
Now about “the bad”.
Well, good news: there’s no “the bad” part, it just sounds solid and familiar: “the good, the bad…”, couldn’t help myself not to take it.
And here is “the ugly”.
Believe it or not, but this was the last drawboring dowel. The reason of this failure was that I didn’t sharpen the dowel well enough, and didn’t care about “dead” hammering feedback. But the core of the problem was that I was tired and in a hurry to finish the work. So memo to self: have a rest when you tired and postpone important work when you in a hurry.
Fortunately I managed to fix this issue:
So my general impression of drawboring was/is quite positive. I successfully drawbored parallel guide of the leg vise chop (will be in my next blog entry), and now highly recommend this technique.
But try to feel your hammer feedback, just in case.
-- Yuri (10x4 -- yeah, that's my tiny shop!)