The bench I’m building is a small one due to very limited shop area (about 10 by 4 feet), so the top is 40” by 10” (laminated pine) plus tool tray (about 6” wide). As for vises after some considerations I decided to go for leg vise and the wagon vise.
It took me a while, but now top and wagon vise are ready.
Here is my wagon vise kit ready for assembly:
The hardware is a 3/4” (19mm) machine screw with square brass nut ($10 flea-market find).
The screw was extended with the spigot so it got proper length and the flange to apply pressure to. The spigot was secured on the screw with three 1/8” rivets.
Square screw nut gave me some problem: initially I wanted to silver solder it to the brass base, but then I decided that this would not hold clamping pressure.
The solution was to wrap the nut with steel cover and weld it to the steel base. Then I drilled and tapped four 5/16” (8mm) holes to bolt the nut to the moving vise block (3-1/8” x 3-1/8” x 2” piece of beech with oak rail glued in):
The dados for moving vise block was chiseled out and waxed (candle wax) before gluing the top. (Memo to self: when gluing parts that must fit accurately to each other it’s best to provide some means to secure them before any glue applied (dowels would work in my case), clamps won’t let you position parts precisely because glue makes them very slippery.)
To fix end of the screw I made brass washer (that works as a bearing too) secured with 4 screws.
The end cap is a beech block drilled and chiseled accordingly:
I have a dozen of 3/4” (20mm) round nuts left from some past project, so I decided to use them to secure end cap with 3/8” (10mm) bolts. I’m 100% sure I’m not the first one who came up with this little trick: I drilled 5/32” (4mm) blind hole and tapped it at the end of the nuts to be able to install and to extract them to/from deep holes:
This was real time saver, it took 5 minutes max for each nut (not to count that I broke two taps learning how to tap those blind holes), and it payed off on second disassemble of the vise.
So this is first tangible result since I started building the bench. Dog holes are yet to drill, non-dog clamping capacity is 6” (150mm)—not bad for small bench.
I think I’ll wax the screw and all other metal parts and oil wooden parts of the vise.
The only power tools used when building top and wagon vise were corded and cordless drills for metal work (it was really tiring to drill 5/16” thick metal plate by hand).
Next stop is legs and leg vise.
-- Yuri (10x4 -- yeah, that's my tiny shop!)