It was a while since I posted my progress on a bench. It does not mean that I did nothing, really, and I have something to show, what was accumulated since then.
Having new bench mostly done, my wife made a notice, why do I have rusty thing (front vise) on it? Hmm, good point I thought, huh? Sure, the vise works perfectly, but it could be great if it looks great too. I decided to make it better looking.
Here is what I started with
I stripped old paint and removed the rust
Masked places I did not want to be pained
After red rustoleum
That day I received some horse but leather for my vise
Which is pretty thick
I cut and glued the leather to front board, used knife and luquid hide glue. It went surprisingly smooth and no surprises
Side view, note I put nice (in my opinion) edge on the board.
Front veiw of vise board
Cut holes for vise screw and runners. Now it is ready for installation
That is the place where the vise will be attached.
I aligned front board with the bench and screwed front vise jaw to the board.
Besides I put leather in my wagon vise too.
Time to make bench dog holes. I fabricated a primitive template
Row of the holes
And made nice bevel
And more holes in wagon vise
Wagon vise in action