OK, I finished cutting all tenons and mortises in legs and strechers. Time to check how all the parts fit together. Here are two legs on top
Now whole bench, top up!
Couple more views
I was thinking for while about attaching legs to the top. That is what I came up with.
I glued together three layers of 3/4” plywood and glued them to the top. I used plywood instead of wood to prevent any splitting. Screws were used for clamping, once glue cured I removed the screws. I tryed to keep any metal amount to minimum in my bench? only really crital parts.
You can see two 5/8” hole sets, They will be used to fasten the legs with wood dowel rods.
One end of the bench is prepared to receive the legs.
Legs and strechers will be fastened with pair of long bolts. First I used forstner bit to make shallow biger hole for washers and to keep bolt head below the surface
Next I attached one leg and matching streacher for further drilling
One pair of holes is ready
Another holes to place washer and nut. I drilled round hole with firstner bit and squared one side with chisel.
That is how the leg is going to sit in place
The leg near fron vise is nt completely surrounded, before glueing I secured it.
One pair of legs is glued. BTW, I highlighted in red additional support because saw horse started to give up to support the bench. IT is getting quite heavy.
Next day, clamps removed
That is how the leg will be fastened to the top
Prepare another long strecher
I glad I bought set of pretty long drills during last year woodshow in Baltimore. They were cheap and I imgine that one day I will need it. The day has came. It turned out that drill are junk. Tappered portion of the bit I needed were not centered, so I just cut it. Hmm, I managed to do it with simple metal saw not problem. The still is very soft, and once I finished drilling they need new and sharper edge. But meanwhile I got the job done!
Glueing another pair
Working for leg nests on other side of the bench
He-he. I start to see the light at end of the tunnel!