LumberJocks

Workbench #4: Demolition!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by yuri posted 1259 days ago 5370 reads 2 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Shaping the base Part 4 of Workbench series Part 5: Making the foundation »

Well, I did some more progress… or may be regress!
Finally, I got to demolition point. Yes, you are reading it right, DEMOLITION!
The life circle of my previous bench comes to the end. It performed it’s mission well and now it is time to give birth to a new beast. As you can know am going to reuse my old bench top. See what I got.

little bit more:

that is the rest of the old bench, looks gaunt, but it was sturdy!

I laminated one more layer of 3/4” plywood, cut edging, so new top incarnation will be neat and square. Started to laminate periferal carcass. Two reasons: improve rigidness and to be able to easyly clamp items I working on to the top/

hat is what I’ve got so far

It is time to think about tail vise. Actually, at that point I’ve already made my mind what I am going to do. I even ordered and received Lee Valley vise screw.

I am going to implement a variant of wagon vise. May be with some twist, but basically just wagon vise. Thus, I need to prepare big slot where my vise is going to be installed. I cut rectangular slot and lined it with red oak.

Clamps removed and we can see what I got

I need to make moving part of the vise. Here is the material for it.

Couple comments on tail vise. I spent quite a bit of research and analysis time on what I want to use for tail vise. I thought about double screw vise, but convenient one is chain implementation like from Veritas or Lie-Nielsen. They are nice but out of the price range I was going to invest. Besides more things (later to be said) crossed that candidate. At some point I almost was set to use the same vise I used as a face vise (red vintage iron craftsman), but after more thoughts I discarded it too. One of the reasons I wanted tail vise to be able to clamp board for planing. Using two candidate above sounded doubtful to me. First of all I do not want anything to protrude to far beyond of the bench. Second, I am going to have almost full size bench (6’ in length) and my clamped board is going to get be at far end of the bench and even more. it is going to hang out on rocking side of the vise. Hmmm, something wrong… OK, wagon vise looks like it, but for some reasons it did not appeared as the one for me. Finally liked L-type vise. That is it! I have to have one. Ooops…. not that simple. After several night slips on that decision and more readings, it appeared that L-vise is not ideal, mainly stability and out of “alignment” over time. I returned to traditional wagon vise. What I liked about l-vise is possibility not only surface clamping, but vertical clamping too. In traditional implementation of wagon vise, the screw goes all along the slit in the bench top and obscure clearance for the part to be clamped. Well, then I can use different type, which will free the clearance, but it will extend pretty far beyond end of the top. With my shop very limited space, I do not like that perspective too. I decided on hybrid decision. No protruding beyond end of the bench and clear slot. The only way to do it is to install vise screw shifted to a side. That is my final decision. I started to work in that direction. I laminated several pieces of red oak and one small piece of hard maple. Drilled big concentric whole int resulted sliding block.

Fit it in place

Putting layout on the block to attach screw hardware

Fits good. Final attachment:

Finally finished to glue on whole perimeter carcass and started to put edge face (skirt?). I had some red oak.

Here, I completely finished wagon vise sliders.

more details about the tail vise and it’s fitting

I put quite a bit of picture, just in case if somebody want to follow, it will be clear how I made it.
Back to other things. Face vise. I am pretty straightforward here. Just traditional piece of meaty iron. I had modern variant (Chinese) and was pretty happy with it’s functionality, worked good for me and I am not going to change anything in that camp. Only the vise itself. Chinese one was bad. Quick release worked awfully. I got rid of it and bought vintage craftsman one from eBay. See how I mounted it.
Some preparations

The vise

Put it in place



3 comments so far

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

5077 posts in 2338 days


#1 posted 1259 days ago

Quite a thoroughly documented vise install, do you have a picture of the installed wagon vise from the top?

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

View yuri's profile

yuri

135 posts in 2229 days


#2 posted 1259 days ago

Mark, not jet

View Dandog's profile

Dandog

249 posts in 1400 days


#3 posted 1259 days ago

yeah very thorough i thought we are at the wagon install there is no more pictures.looks like a fun project. I’m sure it will serve you well.

-- life an woodworking is one big experiment

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase