Secondary Workbench #3: Making top

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by yuri posted 08-03-2010 11:18 PM 1017 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Base is getting ready Part 3 of Secondary Workbench series Part 4: Completing »

OK, got some time to continue in my shop.

The base is dried and ready.

Even added support for future shelving on level of bottom stretchers. I just glued them and and attached with nails.

While I was doing the work I forgot to take pictures. I recalled only Once I glued up the top. It is whole sheet of 3/4” MDF laminated with scrap 3/4” plywood pieces I had in my shop.

Closer view

My favorite weight! Battery from my previous BMW. I planned to return it as a core, but realized that for $8 or similar it is great and beautiful (in my opinion) weight, so I kept it.

4 comments so far

View PurpLev's profile


8523 posts in 3073 days

#1 posted 08-03-2010 11:25 PM

Ah! the old “put everything in sight that has some weight” ploy… lol

for some reason I always come to check on posts after you post something :) at least I keep being updated on this workbench.

What I do with lamination of this sort though is used long cauls that are arced to the edges so that when you put a clamp on each side and clamp it down – the center naturally gets pressed down as well because of the arc. easier to handle and a more consistent pressure across the boards then individual weights.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View yuri's profile


136 posts in 3027 days

#2 posted 08-04-2010 01:02 AM

PurpLev, exactly like you said about weight!
I am glad I keep your interest? probably it means I do something worthy ;-)

Cauls are on my to do list and sure I have loooooong one with all jigs I still should do for my shop. But for now I do, let say, traditional way :-)

View ryno101's profile


384 posts in 3089 days

#3 posted 08-04-2010 01:47 AM

I was thinking “Aaahh… the old battery clamp!”. I’ve used one myself, hung onto the old dead one from the wife’s minivan for just that reason!

-- Ryno

View Jesse's profile


66 posts in 2643 days

#4 posted 08-04-2010 06:09 PM

I have had great luck using the boxes of tile that I have sitting around as weights. Whatever works. I put a few layers of plastic on top of my pool table, lay the first sheet of mdf down, slurry with glue, then add the second layer, then top that with heavy “stuff”, and viola. Mine always come out with no more than .005” variation across the width. Sure there are better ways, but it works.

-- Jesse, Hopewell Jct., NY

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics