The reason I started this blog was to show a project that sort of evolved over time – at least a year so far – and illustrates one of the ways I seem to gain enjoyment from messing about in the workshop. I see a lot of small box makers who seem to work this way finding new and unusual ways of creating something from what seem to be left over cutoffs and so on.
Anyway I can now show you the finishing touches to this stage of my project – but it is still not finished.
It may become a decorative addition to some larger project in time.
The whole carving had now been coated with a pine sealer that will help if I decide to stain it later or may just remain as it is.
The little fish boxes have been attached using epoxy glue and a few strategically placed pins.
Here you can see the coral effect has been enhanced using one of those specially shaped screwdrivers as a punch.
And here I added a bit more pyrographic work to suggest fish scales.
The head end of the fish has had quite a bit more work – this is all meant to be semi-abstract of course – not by any means an attempt to be realistic.
There has been a little finishing work to this area.
And to this area.
As I said the boxes are now attached.
Sorry about the clamp impression – I’ll have to steam that out if I can.
And there we have it until I think of something else to incorporate it into.
-- David Australia