Like I said in the last blog, I don’t usually make prototypes. But since there will be so many, I wanted to work out as many unforeseen details as I could. I did finish up the first one of the three styles. This is the largest group with 10 beds.
After building this first one, I only found a couple thing I wanted to change. First I inset the drawers under the platform about 2” on each side. After getting it set up, I feel it would look better with only a ¾” inset of the drawers. This would keep the drawer frame against the verticals on the head board. Also the hardwood caps on the verticals have a routered edge. I think I want to do a smaller round-over or just break the edges over. The radius was too large and didn’t look right making the transaction to the square vertical. Luckily they are doweled on there and dry-fitted.
Here is the raw video of the headboard being built:
Next I’ll be working on the two styles of bunk beds. Originally all seven would be the same, but I found a conflict with the size and called the customer and okayed a change.
One of the bunks will have a headboard like the single bed, to keep with the style. The other will be a bookcase design. They will share the same style of footboard which will be just a plywood panel capped with maple hardwood.
-- Watch live video from our shop. http://www.wwbeds.com/#!current-projects/c3c1