Today I worked on some of the smaller details. I built the smoke stack, cattle guard, the front lights housing, and a ladder.
For the smoke stack I used a 8” drain pipe. This was left over from a previous job. I really liked the fitting that is molded to one end. It gave it a little detail without me having to add something up there. To attach it to the front, I cut like a half-lap style joint out of the pipe. I cut it using a circler caw. Since the top of the front of the bed was curved, I had to do a little hand coping. It is attached to the front us using 6” bolts threaded into T-nuts.
The cattle guard is sloped on two angels. I will hinge the front piece mainly because that is where the customer will attach it to the front. You could use it for storage, but it is not that much area in there.
On the front I added a 24” circle and then put a light in the center of that. I’ll eventually wire that up to a switch somewhere. I haven’t really found a place yet, but I may do a touch sensor at the head of the bed. The 24” circle is attached to the front with 16 square drive pocket hole screws around the edge. This will give a “riveted” look to it.
I should only have about a day left before the finish and graphic go on. It still needs for holes to be filled, edges to be cleaned up, holes to be filled, and sanded.
Sorry no recorded videos today. There was a problem with the system and it kept kicking the reocording off.
-- Watch live video from our shop. http://www.wwbeds.com/#!current-projects/c3c1