A lot got completed today. Actually I got most of it complete minus a few details.
First I cut out the sides. I drew a life size version of it on cardboard on the last blog to give me a since of proportion. So today I just transferred the measurements. Instead of just cutting it out with a jig saw, I used a router to get clean and straight lines. I used the jig saw and circular saw for the rough cuts and came back with square jigs, made especially for this project and straight edges.
I then moved on to the front of the bed. On the previous train bed that I built like this. I just shaped a piece of ¾” MDF. This time I wanted something a little thicker, so I used a different process. This time I made two identical pieces of plywood. I cut the top with a half circle and a 42 1/2” radius. I did this by using a long base on the router and swinging it around like a compass.
I connected them with a rib support system, where I attach 1 ½” boards connection the two pieces together. This was all covered with 8’ x 4’, 3/8” bending plywood. I came back with a 2 auto part body filler to smooth the bending plywood.
Here is the raw video of the build:
Test fit the parts New
-- Watch live video from our shop. http://www.wwbeds.com/#!current-projects/c3c1