I posted a couple projects and wanted a place to compile both the building pictures. Both the desk and the Murphy bed were a project to the same customer. It was a challenging project because of its size. I finishing phase had to be done in two sets of two days. If not pieces would be everywhere.
The bed had it’s own challenges. It was the first time to put a desk in a mission style. The customer did come up with a design that would work, but I needed to figure out all the variables. How far does the desk need to be off the ground? Where is that point on that suspended front? Where does it need to start? All this I had to figure to get the doors in production. I couldn’t really do a mock up or a prototype. There is really not enough money figured into spending that much extra material or labor. I did spend a little more time then expected on the planning stage, but sometimes I can justify it by the experience gained. Now I have my notes and can build another one fairly easily.
The desk was really straight forward. The only thing that I had questions on was how to handle the crown. With the lower section on the hutch, the original customers drawing had the center and sides the same depth. This wouldn’t work, since the crown on the sides needed a place to terminate. Luckily I caught this before any building was started. We decided to increase the center a little and take back the sides a little. That left about 3” for the crown to terminate into the center.
-- Watch live video from our shop. http://www.wwbeds.com/#!current-projects/c3c1