Again I had different routes that I could have taken on the glue to use. I decided to go with regular yellow glue. It is more forgiving. If I would have laid the face down in one piece instead of an inlay, I may have used contact cement. Since the whales were fairly small I felt the yellow glue would work fine.
I needed even and constent pressure on the entire piece. What I did was laid it down in this order. 2×4’s, substrate, glue, whale, wax paper, foam pad, plywood, 2×4’s.
The 2×4’s were used to apply pressure on the face. 3/4” plywood by itself would just flex. I ran the 2×4’s through the joiner to get the perfectly stright. I then took the ends down about 1/32”. The put a bow in the center so that any flex in the 2×4 would still have force in the center.
Before clamping the 2×4’s, a laid a sheet of wax paper down to keep any glue seepage from causing a problem of anything sticking to the veneer. I covered the wax paper with a piece of foam I use for shipping. This would allow any imperfection in the thickness of the veneer to be clamped evenly.
I let it sit for a few hours. Took it out of the clamp, and sanded it. Put the panels on the murphy bed and finish it out.
-- Watch live video from our shop. http://www.wwbeds.com/#!current-projects/c3c1