LumberJocks

Office Credenza

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by wunderaa updated 03-21-2013 03:13 AM 7 parts 5880 reads 7 comments total

Part 1: Starting Off - Design and Materials

03-21-2013 01:22 AM by wunderaa | 0 comments »

This project has been a long time in the making. After staring at the boxes stacked up in our office for a year, it’s high time to get a credenza and bookcase going. This project is complete, but I’ll do my best to detail the build process…a first for me! First, a look at a general sketch of what I’m shooting for. Next up, I started designing the lower credenza unit in SketchUp. Originally, I wanted to make this whole unit out of solid black walnut...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Build Process - Bones

03-21-2013 01:35 AM by wunderaa | 1 comment »

I had the good fortune to nab a new (better!) job at the end of January. I set up my start date so I’d have a good couple of weeks off…for woodworking of course! Starting the build, I decided to make the car carcass with 3 boxes. Sides are all 3/4 walnut ply and the back is just 1/4” for all of the strength. Each step of the process, I would go back to my SketchUp model and print off my cut lists to ensure I get everything right. Set up table saw for 8’x2̵...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Face Frame

03-21-2013 01:43 AM by wunderaa | 0 comments »

Again, back to SketchUp to make sure I’ve got my cuts right. BTW, boxes were attached to the subframe with glue and brads. Boxes were joined to each other with screws, with all screws concealed in the outside sections which will have doors. Shelves will have an exposed plywood edge, so time to rip thin strips for coverup. Attach the banding Face frame is pretty straight forward pocket-screw construction. All assembled. You’ll notice that I cut ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Book-matched Panels

03-21-2013 02:50 AM by wunderaa | 1 comment »

I had a very specific look I was going for on the doors. I wanted tiger maple that had a lot of color variation…either through spalting or through heartwood/sapwood transition. After perusing ebay for a couple of days, I found what I was looking for: an 8’x8”x1” piece of tiger maple with heartwood/sapwood. That way I could use the same piece for all 4 doors! First, I cut it into 2’ lengths, ready for resawing Set up the bandsaw How’s thi...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Trim and Doors

03-21-2013 03:04 AM by wunderaa | 0 comments »

Time to get the trim pieces made. First up is the cove molding that will go under the top. The toe plate will have a 3/4” round over and is about 4” wide. To seat the toe plate, I milled an 8’ stick of maple which will be the same thickness as the face frame. Installed While we’re at it, need to fix up the face frame with the hand plane. Install the toe plate with screws through the sub frame Cove Installed For th...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Homestretch!

03-21-2013 03:08 AM by wunderaa | 0 comments »

Time to fill in some of those unsightly pocket screw holes. Fit before sanding. Does it all fit? Danish oil Up on casters for easier work Hardware Coming Together!!

Read this entry »


Part 7: Done!

03-21-2013 03:13 AM by wunderaa | 5 comments »

Some glory shots. BTW…I used magnets countersunk through the back of the centerposts and metal disks on the doors for closure. Finish is Danish oil followed by many coats of wipe on poly. Start to finish was about 5 weeks of evening work. I’m completely happy with the outcome! Hope you enjoyed!!

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase