I’m calling it a folded cube because it’s supposed to look folded, and it’s a cube. I’m open to better names :)
Made this table/stool with my daughter. No finish yet as it was due this morning and we didn’t start until late afternoon yesterday. It was one her design school projects. The design and design process are what’s important. I think it turned out very well considering all the miters. The top has 4 sides mitered. Four of the leg pieces have 3 sides mitered, and the other 4 leg pieces have 2 sides mitered.
To make it we cut squares, then bisected the squares to make 45/45/90 triangles for the legs. I hot glued plywood scraps to the sled for registering the squares. To prevent splintering, we set the blade about 1/8” above the sled and ran them backwards over it. After scoring all the pieces, we raised the blade and cut through.
Miters were cut with a technique where you bury the blade into a sacrificial fence and cut the miters. That way you can cut your pieces to finished size before mitering. Smart thing is to run each piece through twice, first using the miter gauge to remove some waste then against the fence to cut the final miter. It’s easier on the saw and your offcuts won’t get trapped under the blade. The Wixey was the hero, setting up miter cuts is a breeze with that thing.
What luck. Two nasty storms, with hail, came through a few hours apart and both knocked out the power. At one point we busted out my Goodell miter saw from the early 1900’s and using a battery powered light, kept working. Here she is making a test cut to make sure we are at exactly 45°, the old miter box was dead nuts.
Here are pictures of the glue up, which was tricky because everything is mitered and wanted to slip around. We considered biscuits or splines but with all the glue surfaces they weren’t necessary for strength and we were working against a deadline.