I mentioned in a previous blog post that I’m tearing out some unneeded workbenches and remodeling my shop.
As a refresher, here is where this started with my lathe in the way. In the upper right corner you can kinda see the awesome marking gauge made for me by Hammerthumb. It’s a beast and has it’s own special little shelf.
So I tore out one bench and put my lathe against the wall (pics in blog linked above). Now it’s time to tear out another bench. In the upper right corner of most photos you can make out my black Sony boombox (I think it’s a Sony). Once upon a time I had 3 exactly the same, all were scavenged from different places around the same time and cost me nothing. This one is the only one that survives.
If you’re wondering where I put all that crap, stick around.
Most of the crap on the shelves above the workbench are finishing supplies, glues, and fasteners. And yes, I use all of it so it has to stay there or find a new home.
Just to the left in each picture, under a blue denim shop apron made for me by my (then) 9 year old daughter, is the Prairie Grinder I blogged about here: http://lumberjocks.com/wormil/blog/series/5762
At this point I had removed all the screws and was down to nails. And let me tell you, whoever built this bench (previous owner) did not want it removed. It was nailed in with a combination of 16p nails and ringshank nails.
Eventually I gave up removing it one piece and used a Sawzall and circular saw to cut pieces free.
Once I was down to the nails in the back wall, I cut the right side free then sat on it and pulled it right out of the wall.
Looks like the previous owner had aspirations of running electric to the building but didn’t. That was left to me when I moved in.
About all that crap that came off the bench—- uh, it’s atop and around my tablesaw. So it will have to be moved so I can use the saw to patch the floor and build some cabinets. But that’s tomorrow guy’s problem.