I always forget to take pictures so it goes from mounted on the lathe to nearly done.
I knocked the corners off on the tablesaw. The bandsaw would have been my first choice but mine only has a carbon steel blade and ipe can damage carbon steel. I only have 2 types of turning tools, carbon steel (cs) and carbide (note to self: really need to get some HSS tools), so it was carbide on the head and c.s. on the maple. The ipe machined nicely but carbide tends to tear out more than steel so I had a good bit of sanding. Ipe is merely amused by sandpaper so I got the head fairly smooth but not perfect.
Normally I prefer linseed oil only on tool handles, especially hammers/mallets, but wanted to keep the maple a neutral color so I used blonde shellac instead.
The lines were burned with a piece of Formica which does a nicer, cleaner, line than wire. Tried burning a couple lines in the end grain but it wasn’t happening, guessing the pores slow heat build up.
Mallet is finished. Final weight is 17 oz. I’ll post pics in the project section when I get to them.
-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|