[edit: decided that as an ex-smoker, I did not want to do this.]
Normally one would use well seasoned wood but I have these pear offcuts and decided to turn them green, dry, then touch up as necessary.
Started by making and printing a design for a poker style pipe. Cut down a block, glued on the pattern and mounting on lathe. I really had no idea how big it should be so I found a one for sale and copied the measurements. Seems fairly hefty to me but what the heck do I know, never owned or smoked a pipe.
In the last pic you can see the airway ended up about 1/8” off center inside the bowl, hopefully that doesn’t affect how it smokes. This one I free hand drilled, next time I’ll either drill it on the lathe or use the drill press.
Sanding was probably a waste of time since I still need to carve the bottom and boil to dry but it only took a few minutes.