I happened across this Craftsman lathe, the previous owner hated it and wanted $50 for it so I took it home. It came with a 2×4 stand, 1/3HP motor, 2 faceplates, a spur drive and cup center. First thing I did was disassemble, clean, and reassemble everything. Some things had been put together wrong; the drive pulley was in the wrong place so the indexing pin wouldn’t engage and the tailstock handwheel would move in and out instead of the ram. The bearings seemed fine out of the machine but kept binding just a tad after installation. I soaked them in oil and that fixed it meaning they will need to be replaced soon but are okay for now.
Original motor and lathe w/ faceplate
Spur drive and test turning
I disassembled the original 2×4 stand which was too long and wide and rebuilt it. It might not be pretty but it’s solid.
Control box I made for a 1.5HP DC motor that I previously used with my Goodell Pratt lathe. The switchplate is a bit garish but if I forget that down is off <g> this will remind me.
Hopefully soon I’ll get around to making a disc tachometer so I’ll know what speeds I’m running.
-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|