[UPDATE: Scrap this idea, it doesn’t work. When I first tested the vibration was minimal but now it’s setting off an oscillation that makes it unworkable. Guess I will go back to over-complicating.]
The motor mount I built was too low and allowed the pulley belt to rub the lathe frame. In the last entry I mentioned there were two solutions to the problem:
1: Create a raised platform for the motor that will bring it to the height of the lathe pulleys.
2: Build a jackshaft that will transfer power from the motor to the lathe.
With my talent of over complicating things naturally I chose option 2. After considerable thought during cold weather downtime I changed my mind and chose option 1.
Truing the driver pulley reduced initial vibration considerably but that pulley isn’t meant to be permanent, I still plan on making a wooden cone pulley but I need to address a few other things first. This motor runs hot and I suspect it will not last long. I have a single speed 1/3HP motor to fall back on but it runs the opposite direction so I will need to reverse it before I can use it. There’s a good bit of weight on the single Stanley brass hinge holding the mount to the stand, hopefully it’s up to the task.
-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|