Credit where it’s due, I basically copied this guy’s stand except I modified the top to work with my lathe.
I had literally a wheelbarrow load of scrap fir 2×4’s from another project so I used as many as I could. (Note: never build anything from fir 2×4’s, the wood is soft and brittle, every little bump is a dent and pieces kept flaking off at the slightest provocation.)
Sorry, I have no in-progress pics. Once I get started I don’t like to stop for pictures but you can watch the guy above build his. The joinery are simple half laps. The top is 3/4 birch ply with 5/8 pine ply underneath and it press fit between the aprons (later screwed in). There is also a simple box mounted under the top and between aprons to help support the motor mount. My casters are cheap plastic because I had them.
Next up was the motor cradle and mount. The cradle is built from 3/4” birch ply. I took the half moon cut outs and trimmed a couple inches off the flat side, turned the two mini-moon shapes with the curve pointing down and glued them between the cradle sides then added a bottom. The two small pieces are to hold the band clamps. Since I didn’t take any good pics of this I’ll add a crude drawing.
The motor mount was then attached to the apron with an old Stanley brass hinge.
And that’s where I am today. You might notice the v-belt is touching the lathe which is not good and I may have to move the motor mount higher. I’ll be using a flat belt to drive the motor and I’m hoping it will clear.
Next edition will be turning the driver step pulley from ipe.
-- |Statistics show that 100% of people bitten by a snake were close to it.|