After recently moving to a new house, I decided that now I have more room, I should start up my wood working hobby again. For years I’ve wanted to get a scroll saw, and I saw one for sale in the local Kijiji classifieds for cheap, so I went out and got it for $25. It was an old Delta, and it rattled and vibrated badly and it was almost impossible to change blades… the original blade clamp hardware was long gone, and instead there was just a small square headed bolt that would clamp the blade. After trying and trying to get it to work, I gave up and sent the old saw off to a local good will store.
I decided I was going to get something good… no more junky tools, so I went out and bought a DeWalt 788. It’s so much easier to use… love it.
So I eagerly started my beginner projects… Christmas ornament paterns that I got from Steve Good. I even managed to salvage the project I had started with the old Delta.
The blade runs perfectly up and down, but I did run into a problem with the fore and aft blade movement, which would make tight turns hard. When I put a ruler on the table and turned over the moter, the blade would move forward on the downstroke about 3/16ths of an inch. I found an article on the Internet that talked about moving the bottom armiture forward, so I tried it, just using the play in the armiture mounting holes, and it seems to have resolved most of the fore and aft movement. The blade just moves forward 1/32” in mid stroke, but top and bottom are the same. I gave it a quick try with the new setting and I think it solves the problem I was haivng, so I’m looking forward to starting a new project.
I really want to work on something more useful than a Christmas ornament, so I’m looking at some kids toys, and puzzles.
That’s all for now…