The last post discussed the installation system of the panels. I have been asked how the door panels were fabricated. All three door openings were built using new frames that housed original panels. There was one original main panel assembly that the main frame was in pieces. It had been a 6 panel assembly that allowed me to use the original panels in the 3 door frame panels.
The door jambs were sized to fit the existing office jambs exactly – - the existing office doors were removed from the original jambs, – - skinned with white oak style and rail assemblys,- – - rehung on the new door panel assembly, – - – and door stop that was wide enough to cover the original hinge routing and finished to match the office hallway was installed.
The main panels in the room were separated vertically by a space that was covered by several column assemblys. There was a total of 12 columns that were all different widths, heights, and arrived in pieces. After figuring out what piece went to which column, all were plotted on the computer -
The gap between the main panels also had a depth of 1 1/2”, so it was possible to pre-assemble the columns to a 3/4” X 3” strip of white oak. Below are some shots of the column assembly.
Note the new wood at the top of the lower column panels. These were spacers that brought all of the columns to a uniform height. They would be covered by the chair rail. I assume that they originally varied in height to fit a rough wood or stone floor.
Below are some photos of the panels in process.
The client wanted the finish to be as minimal as possible. To bring the new wood surface to a state that matched the old wood, it was lightly hand scraped and moderately wire brushed. The wire brushing wore down the soft part of the grain and made it look like green wood that is smoothed and allowed to dry. I used 5” wire brush wheels spun by a drill. [ we wore out 4 wheels and one drill. :) ] In finish, all of the original finish was cleaned, the new wood colored to match, and everything coated with shellac.
It took our shop about 1500 hours from start to job-site finish touch-up. I believe that it was bid at 1586 hrs.
Here are some shots after install, but before touch up. The flash on the camera makes the flat parts of the wood appear lighter in color than the carvings, but I am told that they really match better than that.
I have not seen them in person.
If I find that the client had some professional photos taken, I will post them.
-- Marshall _ Wichita, Ks _ "Growing Old is Mandatory - - Growing Up Is Optional" :)