So it’s been awhile since I’ve posted any progress on the project – I figured I’d give a quick update. I prestained everything prior to face frame assembly to make it easier on myself, although three coats of stain on every piece makes for a loooong process! I assembled everything and, thanks to my brother-in-law and his heated shop space, I was able to get it all varnished during the colder months of October and November. My wife wanted the cabinets installed before my daughter’s baptism in December, which I managed to do (with a few late nights). So, since that time, the project has been at a standstill – there’s been other smaller projects in the meantime including a Pottery Barn-style kitchen set for my daughter for Christmas and some small built-in shelving units for the bathroom (in progress). So now that the weather is warmer and the camper is out of the garage, I now have my shop space back again to finish the rest up.
On tap for the rest of the work:
- four large doors (bottom)
- six small glass doors (top and center)
- four shelves
- seven full extension drawers with false fronts (maybe, I have multiple dovetail jigs at my disposal lately!!)
- trim (crown, base, front)
Seems like it’s just as much work now as I’ve done before with the cases and face
-- Loving the outdoors since 1981!