LumberJocks

Kitchen Cabinet Challenge

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Bill Hall updated 04-15-2009 05:41 PM 5 parts 4483 reads 8 comments total

Part 1: Day 1

03-26-2009 09:12 PM by Bill Hall | 3 comments »

So, I’m hanging out with a friend over drinks and we get to talking about his kitchen cabinet situation. You see, his microwave crapped out and he want to get a new one. He’d like to install it over his stove, but he needs a shorter cabinet to in place of the one that is there to fill in the leftover space. Replacing it would be easy if he could find the exact cabinet in the right size and color. Soooo…it’s not that easy. Since I was several beverages in and since...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Day 2

03-26-2009 09:47 PM by Bill Hall | 1 comment »

We thought he could buy the cabinet and I could make new doors of the right size and finish them the correct color. So, my friend delivered the doors after an evening at the pub. I swear we’re not boozers. After some thought and pricing out lumber, we released I might be able to cut or disassemble the cabinet and reuse the wood. We’re so green, I know. I thought about cutting off the bottom and using biscuits or something to reattach the bottom rail. Instead, I was able to...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Day 3 - Staples everywhere!

03-30-2009 07:45 PM by Bill Hall | 3 comments »

So I got everything apart yesterday! I guess you could call this a euro style cabinet due to the way it has been assembled. I could be wrong. The cabinet was assembled with tons of staples and very little glue. The back had two support pieces and one large piece of hardboard for structural support. Here’s a picture of my method for heating up and disassembling the frame and panel doors. I’m sure glad I made that mallet. I mentioned before the use of pins to hold tog...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Day 4, 5 & 6 - Hey, I'm slow...

04-09-2009 03:58 AM by Bill Hall | 0 comments »

The next part was to cut the sides of the case to 12” high. I set my handy dandy incra miter gauge to 12” and sliced off the bottom. Before: After: Since this is mdf with a thin veneer, I separated the mdf piece with the original dado for the bottom panel from the veneer and glued it back to the main side. Then I took my chisels and gent saw and continued the dado the way it was originally. Oh, I also added some filler pieces where the old shelf was. ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Day 6 & 7 - Nearing the end...

04-15-2009 05:41 PM by Bill Hall | 1 comment »

Here I attempted to patch the holes left my the previous hardware using my carving gouge to cut out pieces of the offcuts. To handle the floating panels, I tried to cut them to size and re-bevel the cutoff end. I found that the center of these panels are chipboard, so now I have to either replace them or try to attach the bevel on the cutoff the larger piece and make the transition look seamless. Of course, the edges of the floating panel were not square, so I made a jig to aid me in...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase