I’m working on a rigid heddle loom and came across an issue cutting out the sides. To some of you more well-versed in the arts and sciences of template cutting, this is probably a ho-hum tip. For me, it was an “Ah hah!!” moment.
I’d taken care to make sure the minimum radius in the template was .5” since that’s the bit I used for the cutout. What I didn’t take into account was the length of the arms on the router table guard/DC that resulted in what could be termed an “interference issue”.
You’ll notice that the inch or so between the bit and the radiused intersection is conspicuously longer than the .5” between the rising slope on the right and the edge of the guard/DC. It turns out the arms are just a bit too long to allow the router bit to maintain contact with the wood in two spots. In retrospect, this isn’t an “Ah hah!!” moment; it’s more like a “Well DUH!!” moment. But, most of my experience with template cutting up to now has been with acrylic nametags and badges. Not a whole lot of internal corners on a 2×8 piece of plastic.
It’s not a big deal and the fix was easy enough; just remove the guard/DC and route the two small areas that need cleaning up. Just a heads-up to those of you looking to do some template cutting. To the rest of you – myself included at this point – a chuckle at my expense.
-- Even if to be nothing more than a bad example, everything serves a purpose. cippotus