How I built my shop contruction begins

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by wdkits1 updated 04-24-2009 02:51 PM 4 parts 4628 reads 22 comments total

Part 1: Challenges

04-19-2009 03:45 PM by wdkits1 | 5 comments »

I encountered many challenges while building my shop. For one , I was still working full time at my electrical job and working out of town alot so I could only work on the shop during the weekends. Plus I was still processing orders for intarsia kits at the rental shop which meant that my building time was limited to night work. With very limited time it took many months to get anything done. Setting the 6×6 posts was no problem but hoisting the6×8 beams was a real challenge workin...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Having fun now

04-21-2009 03:51 AM by wdkits1 | 4 comments »

Well I may be jumping the gun a little but I got my first load of 1×8 rough sawn SYP siding and the 1×3 batten strips so just had to see what it was going to look like. I ordered the Ondura roofing material so I got time to do other things until it comes in.The front porch PT is done so lets do the siding. Me and son #2 working on the rear roof supports The Ondura roofing finally came in so that takes priority now. I chose this roofing material over a metal roof mainly...

Read this entry »

Part 3: Construction begins

04-17-2009 02:39 PM by wdkits1 | 6 comments »

One of the challenges of building a timberframe structure was finding a reliable source for all of the timbers at a good price and having them cut on a schedule that suited my needs. I saw an ad in a local paper that advertised—lumber for sale for barns and sheds,custom cut,will deliver. I gave the man a call and told him what I was building and as it turned out he lived about 10 minutes from me and that he could mill everything I needed for the shop at a very reasonable price—.50...

Read this entry »

Part 4: The finishing touch

04-24-2009 02:51 PM by wdkits1 | 7 comments »

My shop is now dried in and now it’s time to get the inside work done. I have installed all of the lighting, using 8’-2 tube fluorescents that I salvaged from a grocery store remodel and have put all the lights on motion sensors. All of the outlet circuits are in conduit run under the floor and are stubbed up where needed.The 200 amp service is installed and powered up with plenty of space for future needs. The lumber racks are done and the miter saw station is complete. I decid...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics