• Advertise with us
Blog series by tyskkvinna updated 05-24-2010 04:30 AM 10 parts 20014 reads 96 comments total

Part 1: The design process

04-28-2010 06:22 PM by tyskkvinna | 13 comments »

I am embarking on my first piece of actual furniture. It is going to be a bed, which I am making for myself. I saw something I really liked and inspected it thoroughly.. then drew up a design. This is what the rough design looks like. I would really appreciate some input. The foot/head is 24” tall and the sides are 12”. I may knock the sides down a bit, I’m not sure. I have some 2×6 so it may end up being 11”... What I am going to do for the head/f...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Head and Footboard (Part 1)

05-09-2010 05:12 AM by tyskkvinna | 4 comments »

I made the headboard and footboard. Or at least the main structure of them. This is the footboard, before I added any colouring to it: It is pine with the stripe of redwood. This is after it received colouring. What I finally did is stain it with a “natural” stain (Cabot) and then while it was still wet wiped on a special tint that is a wine colour. I’m fairly happy with the outcome, but it is far from finished. There’s going to be opportunity for i...

Read this entry »

Part 3: More headboard finishing work

05-11-2010 04:54 AM by tyskkvinna | 5 comments »

Have not had a chance to do any more actual sawdust making… want to though!! I did some sanding, filling, staining, sanding, and shellac’ing. The head-side (left) turned out a bit darker than I intended but I’m okay with it. I distressed it a little bit, which has been my plan all along, and I love how it looks. I love having the super smooth and shiny surface with the dings and scratch marks very visible. The footboard is absolutely perfect for wha...

Read this entry »

Part 4: You win some, you wrestle some.

05-12-2010 03:43 PM by tyskkvinna | 4 comments »

So yesterday I set forth to do the framing on my head/foot boards. I had a plan and everything. And then it just kept failing. First – I showed you all the boards I had planed for this. I cut them to fit, then stained them. I used the red stain at full strength. I was expecting it to turn out a lot darker than it did.. It was pretty much the same colour as the layered job on the headboard. The wood felt really waxy. It was odd. Marching forth, I let it dry and set up some stuff on...

Read this entry »

Part 5: Slow but surely

05-13-2010 03:57 PM by tyskkvinna | 12 comments »

Ultimately I went with my intention of doing the dark walnut dye and then the pink stain on top. It looked like this. I’m content with that. In this image you can also see my helper, that’s Omni who is constantly conflicted between her desire to hang out with Mommy and to not be near the power tools. Up close. I’ve realised after I finished it and was working on the other one, that the screws I was using weren’t really grabbing into the back wood th...

Read this entry »

Part 6: Hey look, it looks like a bed now

05-18-2010 04:40 AM by tyskkvinna | 8 comments »

Started off by sanding and finishing the other frame part. And then.. putting things together! O.o Did the other side.. Like my support for that piece? Couple slabs of 8/4 maple on a milk crate. Hey, it worked. I had to fiddle with this a fair amount because I really had no idea what I was doing. Magically, it worked. Also – the frame is FAR sturdier than I was anticipating. Awesomesauce. The brackets are really snug (snug enough that I had to re-screw a couple spots so...

Read this entry »

Part 7: Working with what you've got.

05-20-2010 01:03 AM by tyskkvinna | 13 comments »

I went to the Big Box yesterday for a couple of 2x’s. I did not like the 2×2’s, they were super warped. So I got 2×4’s. Problem is, a 2×4 is too tall for the amount of space I need. I needed them closer to 2” tall. Couldn’t rip it on the tablesaw (it’s packed), couldn’t figure out a way to safely do it on the circular saw, didn’t have the patience to consider doing it with a handsaw, can’t stick things that ratio in the plan...

Read this entry »

Part 8: I can sit on it!

05-22-2010 04:44 AM by tyskkvinna | 14 comments »

ta-da. It is not actually done – there are supposed to be wings on either side. However I am moving on Sunday, and I’d like to actually have a place to sleep on in the new house, so I wanted the bed functional. If necessary I can make the wings there. I painted the backs – yellow! Wee! It matches my bedding. I’ll be sure to post a photo of it Sunday or Monday after I get it assembled and dressed up pretty. (This is my daily photo, but it features my be...

Read this entry »

Part 9: Bonus

05-23-2010 02:46 PM by tyskkvinna | 9 comments »

With my bed basically finished and moving day looming in hours rather than days, I had an idea and wanted to see if I could manage it in time. Having a strong idea of how to do it this time, it went super fast. I picked up scrap pieces, marked them all to length before I started and then had a field day with the saws. I will admit I was even so certain about my mathematics and cutting skills that I did not do a dry fit or anything. It wasn’t that particular.. Can you guess...

Read this entry »

Part 10: In the bedroom

05-24-2010 04:30 AM by tyskkvinna | 14 comments »

I mentioned the weird staircase – there you have it. Not quite sure how we did it, but we managed to get all of the pieces up, around and through without problem. Awesome! I dressed up both of the beds. Omni saw her blankets get put on it and could barely wait until I told her “okay!” and she jumped up and claimed her bed. She LOVES IT. Another angle. She also decided that my bed is pretty awesome. Thoughts: -I definitely want to build the wing...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics