For the past several days, I’ve been messing with the images used to make my elevation of earth. I dug around and found various maps and data and combined them to be what I needed. I had a finished map done previously, but magically my computer ate it over the past year- I think in one of the backup/transfer sessions it got stuck in the ether.
anyway. I made an image I liked and then converted it into a three-dimensional model. This is full scale- that is to say, this model believes it is 4’x8’x3”.
The brown coloured parts are the surface of the original wood. I need to knock it down a little for Antarctica and Greenland. No big deal..
In the meantime, the rest of the planet looks pretty slick.
Today’s task is to glue up a bunch of plywood for a test piece. I have a lot of “junk” plywood that will work just fine for this application. My plan is to do two of them: One smaller (and thus faster), probably in the neighbourhood of 30-40” long and then a full size one. After the full-size one is cut, I am going to use it as a guide to determine where I will need to stack wood for the final one. I find it easier to work off of a full size model. But first, glue.