So the discussion in my last blog really got me thinking and for whatever reason this evening I decided to give dovetails a shot. I’ve never done any sort of locking joinery before… in fact I’ve only even tried mitred joints a few times without all that much luck.
I figured it out.
This is 3/32×1/8 balsa wood. It was just two scrap pieces I thought I’d see if I could actually do it. Determining that, in fact, I could, I set about making the drawers.
Drawing it out helped a lot. Really need a better marking tool but my super fine pencils don’t quite stick and when I tried to mark with my knife I ended up just cutting it all the way through. Er, oops.
My first dovetailed drawer frame! WOOHOO.
And my second.
I only made two tonight. That was more than enough to go cross-eyed. The counter needs four. I cut out the planks for the other two, they just need to be cut for the joints. I tried really, really hard to keep a slight angle to the dovetails so that they wouldn’t be just straight finger joints. And amazingly, it made a big difference! These pieces for the drawers are 3/32×1/4 basswood. Super nice to work with!
I put bottoms on them – nothing fancy just 1/64 basswood.
This is one of the drawers sitting in its spot. I made a little brace so that it sits on that.. just like a real kitchen. (I inspected my own kitchen to see what would make sense)
Of course, the drawers will get proper drawer fronts. Those, I imagine, will be made out of a nice hardwood. Kind of leaning towards padauk..! We’ll see.
I glued the joints together because the wood just isn’t sturdy enough to grip all on its own. I did a friction fit in several places and it still wiggled free pretty easy. Nothing a little CA glue can’t fix. :)
By the way, thanks for the encouragement, guys! I definitely would not have tried this otherwise.