Haven’t been able to make any progress on this project lately, due to lots of travelling and then the work backlash that happens after lots of travelling..
Last night I had some time avaiable and decided to work on this.
I am using simple balsa wood for the frame of this. There’s no reason to use anything heavier. So, I glued together the base frame and then glued some heavy cardboard to it. I considered using wood for the bottom, since traditionally plywood is used for this application. But any sheets of wood I have that would have been appropriate were all nice veneers. I don’t want to use those. :) Cardboard is just fine. You’re not going to see it.
Glued in some vertical supports. I drew some guidelines in the bottom so I’d know where I definitely didn’t want support rails. And as you can see, this was all done with super glue. I love this particular stuff. You hold it tight for a few seconds and then it is strong enough to hold on its own.
And then did some creative gluing on the top half to make a full structure. I was a little torn about the construction process. Using methods you’d find in full-size cabinets don’t quite work here because there really isn’t opportunity for fasteners – either the wood kind (dovetail, dowel, etc) or the metal kind (screws, nails). While it’s not exactly a weight-bearing structure, I do need it to be able to support itself, so. Again, you’ll never see this part, so it is okay.
Then did some major head scratching. Didn’t want to use wood for the top. Almost – very, very almost – used cardboard with a paper veneer. In fact I had cut out the cardboard and was leafing through my papers to decide on one when this piece of plastic fell out of the paper pile. I had looked at my plastic inventory but didn’t have anything suitable. So this was exciting! I drew some lines and then cut it out on the bandsaw. This was my first attempt at cutting free form on the bandsaw. I didn’t want to cut the hole out completely, so this was tricky.
It worked out well in the end I do think. White wasn’t my first choice, but I worked with what I have, and I will make it look integrated by the time I’m done.
I set it in the room to get a feel for how it looks. Yay! If you hadn’t figured it out yet, it’s the kitchen counter. The space at the end is for the fridge. If you look closely, you can see that I even put the toe-kick in it. :) I added some supports around the sink, too. By the way, I had decided a while back what kind of sink design I wanted to do.. I like the big porcelain ones that sit right on the edge, rather than the stainless ones that sit in the centre. Which is why I made the sink cut-out like that. I did not realise how close to the trim on the wall it would come – not sure what to do about that yet. I can raise the whole counter a little so it’s even (I have some very thin balsa) or I can put the fridge up against that corner instead of in the opening for it right now.
I’m going to skin it with… something … and then figure out how exactly to do the doors and drawers.