I was actually going to work on other things today, but I ended up having a really rough day and wanted something quiet to focus on. So I shifted gears and worked on the tiny house a little bit, though I opted to not work on the saw. (At least not until later—but that’s another story)
After some heavy debate, I painted these pieces yellow.
And these pieces red.
I put a lot of debate into that, actually, and whether I should just paint the big pieces or do something else to it. Ultimately I decided to just paint it. The texture of the mdf after I spray painted it looks not unlike painted cement. Which is more-or-less what I was after.
I did some wrestling and put the foundation underneath. (You may remember it from the other day, when I glued it together) And then the slab for the front porch sits on the extra space of the foundation.
I used Titebond at first for this but I needed something that set a bit quicker than that. (OK- a lot quicker) So I brought out the Gorilla Glue. I was super careful with it, though it still had some leakage. Thankfully nothing that could not be repaired with the careful application of a sharp craft knife.
I was going to do one step at a time and let it dry in-between but these pieces were not cooperating. Much like the walls of the house, the best way to do it was to do it all together.
I once again found myself too busy swearing in German at tiny pieces of wood to remember to take photos. Careful and creative application of blue tape held this long enough to form a bond while the gorilla glue set.
It did not need to wait too long – about an hour – and the glue was quite stable and hard. I took the tape off, which was good – gorilla glue + blue tape = difficult to remove. It was hard to find an angle where you could see all of it.
You may notice, eventually, that I did not paint the top part of the porch roof. It’s getting shingles, and I wanted to make sure they’d stick to the roof. I did paint the underbelly, though, so that it would look right.
Now that I have included red, I’m totally digging the colour scheme. The kit comes with stupid little shutters for the windows that look terrible (just flat pieces of wood)—I will probably either omit them entirely or make my own.
This is my last wood update for a few days. I was really looking forward to working on this over the weekend but instead I have to fly home for a funeral. Such is the way it is. I will be dreaming of tiny shutters and how to make them move while I fly above this great earth.
I even hear that there may be a package or two of wood to greet me when I get home. That would be amazing.