I got a very pleasant surprise today! I do not know if the person who sent it wants to be ID’d or not – but thank you. :) These pieces were all planed to 1/8” and had a destiny waiting for them…
Halfway there. Can you guess? In addition to the wood I received today (I did not cut it all!!) I also used a few pieces of 1/8” exotic I had, which was waiting for just this project.
Thought you’d get a kick out of this. I’m sure you all are wondering what my “scrap wood” looks like – considering that I am using mostly scrap wood to start with. This is it. I could even use them, except they’re uneven widths. I am not so dedicated that I am going to re-saw them to get 1/16” planks. ;)
I then cut the long planks to length. 4”. That was a lot of sawing.
My band saw, I am happy to report, is perfectly adjusted right now. All of my planks came out square, smooth and beautiful.
I did a dry fit. Look, floor! :) I need to cut MORE WOOD… I did not cut enough! Damn.
Looks pretty nice eh? I am pleased. I even cut out the wood for the stair-posts, so that it sits snugly in the floor. That was a pain. However I planned this in advance, and some of the planks on the floor are pine. Like the ones around the stair-post. ;) Cuts great with a knife.
Need to cut some pieces to fit in the edges, so the bathroom looks a little ridiculous at the moment.
Also the area in this room is mostly made up of pieces smaller than a full plank of wood. All I had this evening were 4” long pieces and then some 1.5” long pieces (cut-offs) so wherever a whole one did not fit, I skipped. And then ran out. Re-creating my width jig is going to be FUN. O.O;
It looks great in person though! The exotic wood here and there really adds a lot. Since I was just doing a dry fit tonight I paid no attention at all to the placement of the wood, the colours, etc. I will be doing a bit of attention to that in the glue-up. Areas that you won’t see (under the bathtub, for example) do not need exotic wood. I really, really like mixing it up.
also I noticed that the areas under the doors… there’s not QUITE enough room for the door to open. We’re talking just around 1/64” too much wood to fit. I think, after everything is glued and dry and settled, I’m just going to lightly sand the floor in a swoopy pattern around the doors. Easier than trying to mess with the doors.
What makes this batch of wood I received so special is that it was all the same thickness precisely – which made my life way easier in this regard. Any “bumpiness” you see in the pictures is due to there being some stray sawdust or wood chips, the wood is level. It’s beautiful. It’s going to be amazing. I’ve decided to shellac it – that will soak into the pores and make things flat. It will also be easy to apply some “wear and tear” to the floor after shellac is applied. I’m going to use my watercolours. Do some thin layers of brown and dirt in the corners and whatnot and buff it out and then a little shellac on top. It’s going to be fun distressing it in place, oh boy! But it’s going to look amazing.
I am going to be receiving a few more parcels of wood from fellow Lumberjocks and it makes me so happy, you have no idea. You guys give me so much support, it really makes me look forward to pushing limits and doing more. Using wood from all over and that’s been involved in other, bigger projects just fills me with inspiration and joy. I know it sounds kind of cheesy, but it’s so, so true.
As a sidenote – I am going to be doing trim around the floors, too, which would make the line between the floor and the walls a lot less distracting than it is now. Have not yet decided what kind of trim though. It may be simple flat boards, but maybe not. The ceilings are going to be very fancy.