This was a fun part of the project.. gluing the skeleton together. I think you all can appreciate this – it has to be glued entirely together, in structure, while the glue is still wet. If I did the left and right walls and had them out of square, the front might not fit. I actually kind of hate this setup – I’ve done other houses where you can slowly build your way up.
Also, this mdf is not the sturdiest stuff in the world… I thought about busting out my bessie clamps but decided this may be too much force. So, blue tape it is! :)
And the front! yay! I kept it laying like this overnight to let gravity help things along properly.
I checked it out this morning. Was happy to see that it looks pretty sturdy, and square. Woot. I also placed the little divider walls in this morning and was happy to see everything looks “right”.
I’m also happy to see that it looks like I didn’t get any major dripping from the titebond. It was a little runny, again.. and got kind of goopy.
Later today I will take the blue tape off. I had a couple of spots where the tape ended up going directly over some exposed glue, but I think it was all on the bottom.
so that’s that. It’s a little weird that it goes so quickly from a pile of wood pieces to a shape of a house, although I did do a lot of work before assembly.
The floors have this stupid, ugly “hardwood floor”.... it’s a paper veneer with lines milled in it. Disgusting. The grain is even supposed to be some kind of maple I think, but it’s “real size”, lol.
I did not apply anything to the ceiling side of the floor. I am thinking of doing some kind of copper/tin ceiling. Other ideas of some applied ceilings (rather than painting, popcorn, etc) would be great.