It is not actually done – there are supposed to be wings on either side. However I am moving on Sunday, and I’d like to actually have a place to sleep on in the new house, so I wanted the bed functional. If necessary I can make the wings there.
I painted the backs – yellow! Wee! It matches my bedding. I’ll be sure to post a photo of it Sunday or Monday after I get it assembled and dressed up pretty.
(This is my daily photo, but it features my bed, so hey.)
You can kind of see it underneath – I have 2×6’s holding the OSB up. There’s four. Tomorrow I’m going to cut some rabbits in them so that the OSB sits a little bit lower than it does presently – maybe inch at most. I do want it a platform style bed, but I don’t want the mattress to fall off, either.
We decided that it was unnecessary to have another long bar going down the centre – this thing is sturdy. What I am going to do, however, is screw in the short bars once the bed is in my bedroom. That will ensure it stays square, although it appears to be very stable in all axis despite my best efforts to break it earlier today.
Also, I used spray shellac today! WEE. I love it and may never use brush-on shellac again. And after this project (my first real experience with shellac), I may never use poly again. Love it.
My bed, it is very shiny.
(Unlike a lot of you here, I have noticed, I prefer the finish on my wood items to be very glossy and almost plastic, as a rule. I kind of hate it when I rub my hands over the wood and feel the texture – I’d prefer to just see it.)
Oh btw… this is the first piece of furniture I’ve ever made. It’s also the first thing of any particular structural value whatsoever I’ve made and certainly the first item I’ve designed and then assembled.