Ultimately I went with my intention of doing the dark walnut dye and then the pink stain on top.
It looked like this. I’m content with that.
In this image you can also see my helper, that’s Omni who is constantly conflicted between her desire to hang out with Mommy and to not be near the power tools.
I’ve realised after I finished it and was working on the other one, that the screws I was using weren’t really grabbing into the back wood that much. I used glue, but I’m also a little paranoid. I may knock in a couple of the 2.5” screws and then cover them up again. We’ll see.
And the footboard is now assembled as well. This took more time than it should have. I had a piece that I really liked for the top, but inadvertently put it in upside down.. and THEN realised that it was too warped/twisted to be useful. Had some fierce mental debate about it and what aesthetic I wanted—it looked fine, very rustic. I’m aiming for something far more geometrical. So that was that.
By the time I was done yesterday, it wasn’t dry yet. Not sure if I will have time today or not. I’m leaving today till Sunday, so it is likely that the next chance I will get to tackle this project will be Monday.
However, the next few steps should go pretty rapidly. After dye/stain on the footboard I need to finish the frames (shellac, should go quick) and then it’s time for the side braces. I fiddled around with the brackets last night and think I have a decent idea of how they need to be aligned. I will be using 2×6’s for the side braces, because it’s what I have in abundance.
I think I’m going to switch up the construction part a bit and use braces that go the short way rather than the long way. And then use sheet stock on top of it to hold the mattress. It will have to be assembled in-situ either way, but I’m thinking of still doing the rail on the 2×6 and then the planks on that. Will leave appropriate room so that if necessary I can screw them in but I’d like to avoid it. We’ll see.