So yesterday I set forth to do the framing on my head/foot boards. I had a plan and everything. And then it just kept failing.
First – I showed you all the boards I had planed for this. I cut them to fit, then stained them. I used the red stain at full strength. I was expecting it to turn out a lot darker than it did.. It was pretty much the same colour as the layered job on the headboard. The wood felt really waxy. It was odd.
Marching forth, I let it dry and set up some stuff on the CNC while I pondered my next move. By the way, this is one of the things I cut yesterday:
You’ll have to wait and see what I’m going to do with it. ;)
I was even wrestling the sheet router last night! The bed for it is MDF and it was swelling weird. (Thus, being off-level)
I tried doing a mitre corner job and that actually came out “okay” but magically when I tried to assemble it I had a .25” gap in the middle of the long side (which is made up of two boards) WTF. I even tried putting a small piece of wood in it. It just didn’t work. I tried a few more things for a while and eventually resigned myself to not using those pieces. Planed a few more boards and started over. I couldn’t clamp it effectively, I couldn’t nail it [I would discover a bit later that I was using nails that were too short] and it just kept falling apart on me.
This time, I assembled it with screws. Also by this point I was both cranky and determined (bad combo) so I used butt joints.
I’m actually pleased with it. It’s fairly sturdy and will stand on its own. I filled in the dents, dings and screws. I put a fair amount of effort into the filling so that hopefully you won’t notice the screws at all.
However, I’m kind of stuck with how I want to finish it. The long pieces are going to be the same layered red.. but I think having ALL of it that, would look weird. The idea I have on that note today (and last night) is I’m going to put a significantly darker dye on it – I have some “deep walnut” that I like – and then put the pink cabot on top of it. We’ll see. First I need to sand it and then distress it a little. I’m also going to round off the corners a tad. Just enough so that my sleepy self does not injure herself.