I am embarking on my first piece of actual furniture. It is going to be a bed, which I am making for myself.
I saw something I really liked and inspected it thoroughly.. then drew up a design.
This is what the rough design looks like. I would really appreciate some input.
The foot/head is 24” tall and the sides are 12”. I may knock the sides down a bit, I’m not sure. I have some 2×6 so it may end up being 11”...
What I am going to do for the head/foot is use plywood and then add a face to it. I have been making 1/2” planks from scrap wood to make a facade. It’s mostly pine, but also some oak and redwood. By pine I mean “dimensional lumber I have planed until I like it”.
One of the things I like best about the design is how you do not see any legs from the sides. The mattress will sit inside of it, so you will not see the interior of the frame. I want it to sit inside just enough so that it won’t move. Maybe 2”..
It’s a full-size bed.
My questions are as such:
1) Should this be sturdy enough? Will one vertical in the centre be okay, or should I have more?
2) I have a lot of 3/4” OSB – would that be ok as the backing/structure pieces? Or should I get plywood? Will 3/4” ply be okay? I would do it for all four outside pieces.
3) For the brace pieces (the yellow ones in the drawing) what size should the wood be?
4) What wood would be best for the support planks (the periwinkle)? I would prefer to use generic 1×2 or 1×3 but I’ve never done this so I don’t know…
5) I was kind of thinking of routing grooves for the planks to go in the support beams. So that everything lies flush. Yes/no? (It’d be easy for me to do..)
Also, I am making this so that I can disassemble it as necessary. (I anticipate moving a few times over the next 2-3 years) so I’m thinking of using metal brackets for all of the assembly. I’m thinking of something like this. For the centre rail I’m thinking of something like this.
Please forgive my noob-ness. I appreciate any and all suggestions!