LumberJocks

Workbench

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by twobyfour16 updated 09-05-2012 02:00 AM 6 parts 10425 reads 32 comments total

Part 1: Step 1 - the top

07-18-2010 06:55 PM by twobyfour16 | 9 comments »

Decided to totally re-vamp the garage into a full on woodworking shop. Have misc. crap cluttering the place up, including a bunch of “almost” worthless wood. So, in the interest of clearing some space & finally starting to build my first real workbench, I decided to start with a nice thick top. The wood – I acquired a bunch of rough lenga (a hardwood from Chile that resembles Cherry) that is a hair over 1/2” thick. It came from some 6/4 material that was re-s...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Trestle components

09-01-2010 03:47 AM by twobyfour16 | 5 comments »

Quick update on the workbench. I laminated up the rest of my thin stock into the trestle components. 2 trestle feet & 2 tresle top members plus 4 trestle legs. I haven’t figured out what to do with the stretchers yet, but am considering a different colored hardwood (Mahogany / walnut?) So, although the progress is slow, I am having fun learning about laminating, milling to size, etc. I just ordered the 2 vises from Lee Valley. Although I was originally going ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Workbench - Trestle base beginning

04-15-2012 06:22 PM by twobyfour16 | 5 comments »

Back at it….FINALLY!!!Considering my last entry on this project was almost 2 years ago, I thought I had better get going. I resumed work on my workbench recently. I had most of the trestle components laminated up (legs & feet anyway), so I started working on the mortises & tennons. I started with the feet, which required 2 big mortises (1 1/2” x 2 1/4”) 2 1/2” long. I drilled most of the material out with a 1/4” drill bit followed by a 3/4” fors...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Stretchers

04-29-2012 05:22 PM by twobyfour16 | 3 comments »

Back at it. Since the plans for the workbench called for stretchers that are 1 3/4” thick by 4” wide, I had to get back to laminating. The rest of the bench so far has all been built with Lenga (Chilean Cherry, some call it), but I recently acquired a bunch of nominal 1×8 black mahogany that had been edge glued for width. I got it cheap (very cheap) because it was edge glued with no attention given to matching the color. The material is 3/4” thick, and I d...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Trestle Base Complete

04-29-2012 05:56 PM by twobyfour16 | 7 comments »

Time to glue up. Since I painstakingly fit each tenon to it’s matching mortise, I was fairly confident that glue-up would go ok. To solve the short clamp issue, I went down to the hardware store & got some couplers to hook pipes together to get more length out of my pipe clamps. Also, I borrowed some longer parallel clamps from a friend – and I’m glad he had them! I did a dry assembly & everything worked great. It was a little tricky to do by myself, but I g...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Skirts & Vises

09-05-2012 02:00 AM by twobyfour16 | 3 comments »

So, the top needed skirts, obviously, so time to laminate again. This time, I used 3 pieces of 1×8 black walnut. This gave me a skirt that is 2 1/4” thick, and 6 3/4” wide – after cleaning up the edges. I glued up enough blanks for the front skirt, two end skirts, and chops for both vises. I did not get very many pictures of this process, as I had plenty of lamination pics earlier….I will say that these skirts were BEEFY! And heavy. So, now I had to figure...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase