So, here we go. I’ve been messing around with woodworking for some time. Mostly just rough stuff around the house, garage cabinets, cedar outdoor bench, etc. I decided several months ago to try my hand at something a little more ambitious. Saw the plans in FWW for something they call the Cricket Table & thought it would be a challenge for me.
Wood: I work in the lumber business (mostly high end softwoods but a few hardwoods), and had the opportunity to grab something called Lenga. It is very loosely referred to as “Chilean Cherry”. The FWW article used quarter sawn oak, I think. But, for this first try I decided to use wood at hand & something I could afford. I bought enough for several tables.
Timetable: Was going to give one as a gift for Christmas ‘08. Didn’t happen.
Where I am now: I cut the “blanks” for the legs out of some 8/4 stock. I wish I would have started this blog long ago, but didn’t, so here’s my progress on the legs so far:
The legs were a challenge. I probably should not have chosen a diamond shaped object as my first attempt at mortising, but what the heck. I did the mortises on my drill press with a mortising attachment. The article advised making a jig (sort of) for this purpose, which I did. The mortises are sloppy, but I’m hoping to be able to work with each tennon & salvage a decent fit.
I also have a start on the top, so that will be my next blog entry. This is my first attempt at:
2- Intermediate Woodworking
3- Posting pictures on Photobucket
So, if you have any feedback on any of this, please fire away. Thanks Lumberjocks!
-- Allan, Portland, OR