LumberJocks

Garage to Work Shop Conversion

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by twoblacklabs updated 12-20-2013 03:05 AM 9 parts 21803 reads 54 comments total

Part 1: Got Weight?

10-07-2011 07:24 AM by twoblacklabs | 3 comments »

The only good thing about not having built a planer stand is that it makes a Great Weight for gluing. This eventually will be a door. The frame is assembled with pocket screws and glue (not complete). The outer skin is 1/2” BCX ply and will receive paint. Man, do I have a long way to go.

Read this entry »


Part 2: the cracked foundation

10-07-2011 07:43 AM by twoblacklabs | 5 comments »

A lot going on here. Cracked foundation (repaired)Old, rotted wooden barn sliding door visible on lower left (one of 2). Not an option to rehab as they are on the eave side of the buidling, no header, 80% of the length of the building, never seal and let a great deal of cold air inside.3” crushed limestone over the compacted soil base, after the tree roots which cracked and heaved the original floor were removed.Part of the plastic vapor barrier which is laid under the temporary OSB ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Doors

10-08-2011 04:32 AM by twoblacklabs | 10 comments »

I am really bad about stopping to take photos. The picture is taken while standing on a chair. The door is wrong side up with the top of the door closest to the bottom of the picture. The door is actually laying on top of the table saw for ease of access. My back is screaming from trimming the first door while on short saw horses. Live and learn (hurt). The first door is laying on the floor. Needs one edge trimmed with flush trim router bit.The second door frame is in progress. One stil...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Doors are Up

10-12-2011 08:58 PM by twoblacklabs | 10 comments »

It’s ugly but it’s also FAR from done. Still needs top and bottom stops, top sill (?), trim, paint, locks, windows cut and built, etc. The old flashing needs repaired to resolve the “dip” in the middle, fascia replaced and trim boards. However, as of today, I no longer have to enlist my FIL to help lift and stand the old doors in order to close the building up. Those suckers are easily 200 lbs each. The drains are not complete and the photo makes it look worse than ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Primer for the doors

10-13-2011 02:13 AM by twoblacklabs | 5 comments »

Emma (with safety glasses) REALLY wanted to help prime the new doors. It was interesting but fun. Only problem is we were out of daylight and we won’t be home together tomorrow. So we did the only logical / redneck thing. Headlights from the truck!

Read this entry »


Part 6: DIY Drywall Outlet marker

07-03-2012 09:30 PM by twoblacklabs | 6 comments »

I’ve had my outlets in place for a long time. Insulation and drywall are next. My first attempt at precutting my panels for the existing outlets didn’t go so well. I didn’t want to pay $15 for a drywall marker for the next panels so I made one. 1 Gang Mud Ring, small drill bit, super glue and a few cut off brads and I’m all set! Install this (inside out) onto the existing outlet box and push the drywall against it. Connect the dots on on the drywall and C...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Umm. It's pretty hot in there.

07-05-2012 06:21 PM by twoblacklabs | 8 comments »

Before trying to solve the heat problems, I wanted to document how hot it really was. So I picked an $8 indoor/outdoor remote thermometer. I placed one sensor in the shop at ceiling level. No desire to climb the ladder and place it at peak height. The plan is record temps today (and stay out of the oven), cut the roof tomorrow morning before it’s too stinking hot and install ridge venting and see how much it helps. Forecast for the today and tomorrow are similar. HOT. Tomorrow...

Read this entry »


Part 8: The Rebuild Begins

12-16-2013 03:22 AM by twoblacklabs | 1 comment »

If you haven’t kept up, take a look at the forum entry ””Woodshop Disaster Today””:http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735 Taking advantage of the situation to do more work on the shop. In years past, I busted up and hauled away (by hand, one truck load at a time), the cracked and heaved concrete floor. It was so bad, you could not even take a step without either dropping or climbing 6” either way. After it was removed, I spread and compacted 15 tons of crus...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Proof of Concept and LVL Beam

12-20-2013 03:05 AM by twoblacklabs | 6 comments »

Most of the floor is complete but there are areas I couldn’t address until the wall was reconstructed. Once the wall sheathing was gone I found damage to the foundation wall. There were several cracks. I was debating how to address it but have decided to simply eliminate the cracked section and thus widening the existing opening. This actually will be an improvement as the area beyond wall was a bit difficult to access. This requires installing an appropriately sized LVL Beam. In...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase