Most of the floor is complete but there are areas I couldn’t address until the wall was reconstructed. Once the wall sheathing was gone I found damage to the foundation wall. There were several cracks. I was debating how to address it...
|View twoblacklabs's:||home||workshop||projects (5)||blog (19)||reviews (3)||forum topics (10)||buddies (1)||favorites (6)||activity log|
235 posts in 2055 days
Pretty much a static newbie. Have been slowly collecting tools as life allows over the last 20 years. Several years back, had to sell what I had collected, including a BT3100, Planer, Bandsaw, and Craftsman 6" jointer (bench top on a stand).
Recently, thanks to patient searching on CL and a willingness to travel a bit, I have been able to start again. Also, my wife came through with a Jet 12" bandsaw as another CL find for my Christmas present.
My shop is a small, old, detached 2 car garage that has seen better days. I started with a single outlet and a 2 overhead lights, frost heaved and cracked floor. In fact the floor was so bad, you couldn't roll a ball 2' in any direction as it would either drop 6" or run into a 6" chuck of concrete.
I have since added a circuit breaker, outlets, a few more over head lights, busted all the concrete with a sledge and removed all of the chunks by hand, pickup load at a time until clear. 11 tons of crushed limestone was hauled in and unloaded by hand, leveled and hand tamped. I then rented a power tamper for an afternoon. Plastic vapor barrier was laid and temporary subfloor has been laid on the majority of the space until concrete can be poured.
I have redesigned a main door to replace the 2 sliding barn style doors that unfortunately were installed on the eave side of the building. This flaw was not properly designed and resulted in the north side of the structure having a sagging roof. A lolly gag was installed and the sag has been removed. The entire north wall structure (doors, jambs) will be removed, new foundation wall poured, new walls framed and the new double carriage door will be installed. The door will be a little over single car width to accommodate the occasional vehicle maintenance. Essential I am restoring the old building into my dedicated workshop, a little at a time.
-- If You Haven't Got the Time to Do It Right, When Will You Find the Time to Do It Over?
Latest Activity | view all »
|commented on||Antique Pine...||07-28-2016 01:39 AM|
|commented on||Dart board style shadow box||06-22-2016 09:30 PM|
|commented on||Aircraft maintenance badge shadow box||06-22-2016 09:29 PM|
|commented on||yes more bandsaw boxes||04-05-2016 10:19 PM|
|commented on||16' Cedar Strip Canoe And Matching Paddles||03-27-2016 12:28 AM|
|commented on||Barn wood accent wall from scratch||01-07-2016 03:51 PM|
|started topic||HF Drill RECALL||12-02-2015 10:52 PM|
|commented on||mk76 bomb plaque||10-25-2015 06:50 PM|
|commented on||More than just a fence.||10-17-2015 10:02 PM|
|commented on||Cambered Clamping Cauls||10-13-2015 02:07 AM|
|commented on||Band Saw Mobile Base||10-06-2015 01:34 AM|
|commented on||Wood strip Kayak||10-02-2015 04:08 PM|
|commented on||Tricked out miter gauge for my table saw||09-28-2015 12:19 AM|
|replied on||Incra 1000hd Help||09-27-2015 03:02 PM|
|replied on||Incra 1000hd Help||09-27-2015 02:53 AM|
Latest Projects | view all 5 »
Latest Blog Entries | view all 19 »
If you haven’t kept up, take a look at the forum entry ””Woodshop Disaster Today””:http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735 Taking advantage of the situation to do more work on the shop. In years past, I busted up and h...
Took a long time to get to this point and I neglected to update the blog. However, within the last 2 weeks, I was able to make some great progress. Over the last month and a half, I set up an electrolysis vat using our large recycling cart, car ba...
Before trying to solve the heat problems, I wanted to document how hot it really was. So I picked an $8 indoor/outdoor remote thermometer. I placed one sensor in the shop at ceiling level. No desire to climb the ladder and place it at peak height....
I’ve had my outlets in place for a long time. Insulation and drywall are next. My first attempt at precutting my panels for the existing outlets didn’t go so well. I didn’t want to pay $15 for a drywall marker for the next pan...