OK, so I decided to go with the Flag Display case. Shouldn’t take too long, and I really want to protect the flag and memorabilia. I started out with two rough sawn red oak boards that were in pretty bad shape. You can see in the picture that about 1/3 of the boards are splintered pretty bad. I figured that since the parts for this project are pretty small, I could manage to get enough straight grain out of these two boards and save some of the better lumber for other projects.
Rough sawn lumber with layout marks.
Cut down into more manageable chunks.
So I marked out the pieces with chalk to get the best yield from each board, then I used a circular saw to break them down into more manageable chunks. I used the band saw to rip to width. I prefer this method, saves wear and tear on my table saw blade, I also don’t have to worry about the wood binding up the table saw or circular saw. To me it just feels safer. I then went to the jointer to flatten one face and one edge. After that, I ripped the pieces to rough width and sent them through the planner. I now have rough milled stock that can sit and move if it needs to. All of the stock is over sized at this point by about a 1/4” in width and thickness, and about an inch longer. That should give me plenty to play with in case the wood does move.
Rough dimensioned lumber, just need to let it move for a couple of days, I did sticker it after this photo was taken.
I still haven’t decided on the final size, I am going to build it custom to fit the flag, I don’t want the shadow box portion of the display to be too large and overwhelming. I will be building a jig for the acute angles of the lower flag case, I expect it will be a simple jig made out of plywood and scrap pine that will attach to my miter gauge. I probably will make a prototype frame out of some MDF to make sure I get all the dimensions and angles right, and that the scale of the separate pieces works.
I will post more as I make some progress.
-- Accept Nothing, Challenge Everything