As expected, winter’s balmy beginning has passed and lower temperatures have returned, requiring use of the mini-torpedo propane heater in the garage/wood shop. When I have time, the work pattern is: window cracked, heater full blast, heater off when warm, work until chilly again, open garage door, work a bit more, then come inside for fresh air/drinks/food.
I’ve been thinking about overhead air filtration units lately, now that the door’s been closed more often than open. I’ve seen the information from Solo Woodworker, Bill Pentz, and Oneida. All good information. But has there been a study on the feasibility of using a propane heater as an air cleaner? One where small wood particles are sucked in and incinerated, instead of clogging an expensive HEPA filter?
(I ask this only somewhat seriously, as breathing the tiny ash particles / combustion by-products can’t be good for you either, and all that air swishing around in the garage carries plenty of un-incinerated wood particles.)
Either way, whenever running wood through the machines, I use a paper dust mask if the outside door isn’t open. I almost bought an overhead dust filtration unit in December, but passed, as my “Click to Purchase” button on the Amazon page is getting worn out. It now reads “Cli l c lase”. Very strange.
But, I digress.
My goals for this week were to (1) work on mortising and drilling the eight corner posts, (2) cutting and fitting the short rail tenons, and (3) dry-fit the short rails to the posts.
I marked with pencil where (and where not) the mortises and bed bolt counter-bores should go. It’s like writing “yes” on the leg which will undergo surgery – mistakes have happened in the past. In this very garage. With wood. Below are before and after pictures.
Each tenon is about two inches long, with mortises slightly deeper. For the short-side faces, I clamped the rail boards together, set a stop for the router, and used a spiral up-cut bit to cut four at a time. I cut the long side faces individually, using a home-made jig (sorry, no pic) which I slipped over the end of each board. A shoulder plane, chisels, and low-angle plane work GREAT for cleaning & final fit adjustments (this was so much easier than just using a rasp).
In retrospect, the tenons were much too long. I could have saved myself A LOT of time had I used a 1” rabbeting bit instead. These rail joints are NEVER coming apart!
The dry-fit went well, with only mild mallet encouragement. Here’s a shot of the resulting mess. (There’s a lot of extra stuff in the garage at this point; the more I worked, the more went back outside
- If using a router to cut tenons, save yourself some effort and make all shoulders the same depth.
- Always practice/fine tune on scrap boards first. Skipped due to time restraints. A few tenons were sloppy/loose, but still fit fine in the end.
-- Knight of Sufferlandria 2015