First I must apologize for taking so much time between bogs. It seems that shop time has been very difficult to arrange as of late. What with Christmas, time out to build a 2×4 bi-plane, try a band saw box, (both for the LJ winter contest) a weeks vacation in the Dominican Republic, then returning to a sick Mom, and life in general it seems like an awfully long time since I have touched my motor cycle project. Well, I think I might be back on track now.
First thing today was to reacquaint myself with the project. This reminded me that I must be out of my mind to even attempt it, but what Lumberjack isn’t up to a challenge? After looking over things I felt the next step would be to build the drive belt/sprocket pieces. Not too much to this other than the small size to work with. As can be seen in the following photo, this laminated from 2 round 1/8” maple discs with a 1/8” walnut belt. Although hard to see in the picture, the inside of the belt has some saw kerfs cut into it to reproduce a rib affect. Then another 1/8” piece of maple for the outside guard.
The next step was to build the fenders. I wanted to make sure that the fenders and the gas tank would stand out on the finished project. I know that when I look at a full size Harley the colors of the tank and fenders always catch my eye. So I found a piece of Pauamarello (yellow heart) which I think will do the job. After checking the plan a few times it became quite apparent that the fenders were going to cause me some grieve.
The fenders fit over the wheels and are 1 ½” wide. Cutting a left and a right side out of ¾” stock should do the job. It’s the inside radius that will give me trouble. The easiest way would be to drill a 3 1/8” flat hole 9/16” into my stock thus creating a side piece, but I don’t have a drill that big and I’m not going to buy one for just one job. So I had to find plan” B”. First I cut a center section about 3/16” thick using a radius of 3 1/8”. This was just not quite wide enough to span the wheel. No problem, I’ll add more to it after I cut the sides. The left and right sides were cut from a piece of ¾” stock. Then I used the band saw to slice 2 side pieces about an 1/8” think. The left over was then cut to the 3 1/8” radius and the whole thing glued together. After the glue had kicked, the fender was then final shaped on the belt-disc sander and my dermal tool. The picture will show what I mean better than trying to write about it.
I have only made the rear fender at this time. The front will be constructed in much the same manner. The big difference with the front is that it will be supported by brackets leading to the front axel. This will also cause me some grieve, but I believe this same plan will work for it as well. I might just need 2 center sections.
That’s it for today guys. Not sure when I’ll get back to the saw dust factory, but one thing is for sure, I will finish this project…… Someday! LOL.
Click for full view.
Note: the rear fender is just sitting on the wheel for trial fitting. It will be attached to the frame at a latter date.
-- Brian, Ontario Canada,