Punky Walnut

  • Advertise with us

« back to Finishing forum

Forum topic by ric53 posted 05-16-2015 11:02 PM 745 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View ric53's profile


194 posts in 1716 days

05-16-2015 11:02 PM

I have a slab of walnut that I am going to make into a bench for a customer. The problem is there is an area of punk right in the center of the slab. I explained this to the customer but she likes the rustic look of this slab and wants me to go ahead with the project. I know that there is product out there that hardens this type of decay but I don’t know what it’s called. Anybody know what I’m referring to?Hopefully it doesn’t change the color too much.

-- Ric, Mazomanie

2 replies so far

View dhazelton's profile


2790 posts in 2493 days

#1 posted 05-16-2015 11:12 PM

I think Minwax makes a wood hardener. Just go to the paint department at the HD or Lowes and look for it. Seems to just be a thinned down type of epoxy.

View Ghidrah's profile


667 posts in 1419 days

#2 posted 05-16-2015 11:47 PM

I’ve used “GIT ROT” for old fir and cypress gutters, can’t seem to find cypress anymore so custs will go out of the way to keep it.

-- I meant to do that!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics