need a way to hold goblets

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodturning forum

Forum topic by 3285jeff posted 04-29-2015 01:05 AM 919 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View 3285jeff's profile


152 posts in 1718 days

04-29-2015 01:05 AM

I have been making some goblets and putting the finish on it before I part it off is no problem,,but after I part it and try to do the bottom,,lol,,that’s where the problem comes in,,i have tried using a block of wood that I turned down to slip the cup into but I just cant seem to get it tight enough,,using the chuck will work but even if you put paper around the it the chuck still bites into the wood leaving a dent,,,any suggestions on how it could be done easier and with out using the chuck,,,,thank you

2 replies so far

View gwilki's profile


201 posts in 1474 days

#1 posted 04-29-2015 01:35 AM

Make a ring from wood, or use a piece of PVC pipe – with the inside diameter just a bit larger than the OD of the cup. Cut the ring, slip it over the cup, then clamp it in your chuck. The cut will close up and grip the cup, leaving no marks. Almost like a home made collet.

Failing that, go vacuum. :-)

-- Grant Wilkinson, Ottawa ON

View 3285jeff's profile


152 posts in 1718 days

#2 posted 04-29-2015 01:45 AM

now that is a smart idea and I will try it,,thank you

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics